Sunday, February 26, 2017

My Beta Jam 2 Thoughts

So, the Beta Jam finished, and both Edude and I were really excited to launch the Keeper Team's first game (even though the whole team didn't participate on the project). We were close to not being able to upload the game because of the time limit, but in the end, we did it. However, after days of taking a break of this, I've thought about everything that happened during this time, and I'd like to write my thoughts here.

Simple... but incomplete

Our game was simple enough: it's a stealth-like puzzle game where you control a magician throughout a museum, and try to steal treasure without being noticed. But there's a lot of details to consider when making that game, and we couldn't all of our available time to program all those details. One of my concerns was how I ended "programming" the path to choose. First of all, we didn't represent well enough the path when there was a crossroad. Maybe it could be deduced, but it wasn't illustrated well.

Another problem was the use of items and it's display on the map. Our plan was to show the items the player chose on every tile. Sadly, due to time constraints, we cut that part. Even though it wasn't "important" in terms of gameplay, it helps the player a lot, especially when the path is really long. But my biggest concern was the gameplay. I mean, we only placed a level on the game, when we were considering using at least 2 levels. But programming the gameplay took a lot more time than expected, and the other level was cut. But there's something that couldn't be added that was vital to the gameplay: after retrieving the treasure, there was going to be an escape sequence, where you had to, again, build a path, but this time, it was to escape from the museum. However, we couldn't implement it in the game before the game jam ended.

So... why I wanted to upload it?

My main reason was because I wanted to show myself the progress I made in two weeks (even though I only worked on it for like 4-6 hours each day). I wanted to upload a playable version of the game on itch no matter what. I mean, my experience with GameMaker was pretty basic, so using a great variety of functions has helped me learn more about the engine. It also helped that Shaun from YoYoGames commented about the game, which was kinda cool.

However, after some time, I felt something I didn't expect to feel after uploading the game: disappointment. I saw the game, but I also saw some of the mechanics not implemented on the game. It was like when a game had to be released on a specific date, even though not everything was well implemented, and when it's released, the players can see the issues with the game. This experience has showed me to never release a game when it's not ready (I already had this in mind, but this will help me drive myself to finish the game). I also remember seeing a GDC video, where a guy mentioned the famous Miyamoto quote: "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad". I'll never regret making this game, because it was interesting and a bit fun (except for some moments), and seeing the game on itch feels like I've accomplished something, but at the same time I think "This could be done better".

So, for every game we make, we'll try our hardest on finishing it, but we're not going to rush anything. If we delay our games, we're sorry, but I rather make sure that everything works correctly and take more time, than to release when scheduled without the proper playtesting, or cutting planned mechanics completely. If we take out some content of our games, the last reason will be because of time constraints.

Whew... had to take that out of my chest.

And what about game jams?

I'd like to participate on other game jams, but I don't think it'll happen this year. I think I'll experiment a bit more with various engines, and then I can think of game jams.

And what about Leave a Tip?

Like I said before, we'll be taking a break from Leave a Tip, and try to focus more on school and learning about Unreal Engine 4. After June, we'll see what happens next, but our initial plan is continue development on that game.

And this blog?

I'll be honest... I'm not sure if we're going to use the blog until after June. I'd like to say "Of course! We'll keep posting things here!", but I have to think about it. The only thing I can think of is maybe posting about our progress with UE4, and even then I have doubts about putting this. If anything happens here, I'll post something on Twitter and let you guys know.

Until next time...

-Goombazo

No comments:

Post a Comment