Monday, February 13, 2017

Project Clymene - Dev Blog #2

Sorry for not updating yesterday, but we were dedicating so many hours working on the game that I completely forgot to update this blog (and I nearly forgot to update today as well).

So, basically, on Saturday I dedicated some time to the path creation for the character, so that the user can move the character using an assigned path, as well as starting the creation of the game's interface. But the most interesting part of the day was programming the game's camera. One of the methods I tried using was camera_set_view_speed, where you could specify the camera's speed on both directions, instead of specifying it to move each step. Since I worked with hspeed and vspeed for the objects, I thought they would work the same way. But after approximately an hour of trying to make it work, I realized that this specific method only worked when the camera was focused on an object. There's nothing wrong with that (It's a really cool feature), but I think the method's name should change to something more appropriate. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but that's just how I felt. In the end, I had to move the camera step by step, but that method gave me an idea of something I could apply on the game.

Today, I decided to begin work on the songs for the game (I am the team's composer, after all). I'm beginning with the main theme, but after some time trying to figure out a melody, I haven't progressed that much. The most difficult part for me when making songs is the very beginning, because I have to choose the right feel for the song, and set everything else on that. When that's out of the way, I really enjoy choosing the notes for the song, because the idea is there and hearing how the instruments go well with that idea feels good. It's like making a sculpture: the figure is there, you just need to carve on the right places.

No image in this update, but maybe next time I'll let Edude post something here. He's been working with sprites and a bit of the game's mechanics, so I figure he can show you a lot of images.

-Goombazo

No comments:

Post a Comment